National and local support groups
You will find there are lots of local groups available for you in both pregnancy and after your birth, or who can support you if your birth experience was difficult or different to how you had imagined.
There are also groups who can support you if you have had a miscarriage or a still birth, or your baby was born with physical or brain injuries.
The below information is a small sample of what is available, please always check before attending an advertised session. Please also note that some groups charge for advice sessions, again please always check in advance. Different groups may give a different perspective on elements of your pregnancy so please always check with your midwife, GP or health visitor if you have any concerns.
National Support Groups
- Miscarriage or baby loss: www.sands.org.uk and for partners here is a video on 'Sands United FC'
- The Miscarriage Association: www.miscarriageassociation.org.uk
- General pregnancy and antenatal support: www.nct.org.uk
- If you are expecting more than one baby: www.tamba.org.uk
- Teenage pregnancy support: www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/teenager-pregnant/
- Morning sickness and hyperemesis gravidarium: www.pregnancysicknesssupport.org.uk
- General mental health support: www.mind.org.uk
- Samaritans: www.samaritans.org
- Pre and post natal depression support: www.pandasfoundation.org.uk
- For vulnerable families: www.barnardos.org.uk
- For mums over the age of 35: oldermum.co.uk
- If your baby is born premature or sick: www.bliss.org.uk
- Tommy's: Planning for Pregnancy Tool
- Pregnancy and parenthood advice from Bounty: www.bounty.com
- Review site for care and health apps - over 200 pregnancy related apps reviewed, Humber, Coast and Vale curated apps are here
- Health Safety Investigation Bureau: www.hsib.org.uk
- Safeguarding: COVID-19 and Domestic Abuse, Sexual Violence and Gender Based Violence - Safety and wellbeing advice for survivors
- Safeguarding: COVID-19 and Domestic Abuse, Sexual Violence and Gender Based Violence - Advice for friends, family, neighbours and community members
Local Support Groups
Reflect is a pregnancy support charity based in York and Harrogate. We provide free, impartial and confidential support to men and women facing an unexpected pregnancy choice and to those struggling after experiencing pregnancy loss, including miscarriage, still-birth and post-abortion. Click here to find out more.
This leaflet updates on virtual classes and telephone support from East Riding Children's Centres during the Coronavirus pandemic.
Mumbler Websites and Online Parenting Communities
All are good sources of info for parents on what to do and where to go, from ante natal classes and groups to baby classes and playgroups.