Carrying your baby
Carrying a baby using carriers, wraps or slings may seem like a new idea but has been done for a very long time, it can be a really good way of transporting babies and can make your life a lot easier.
Why carry your baby?
- Physical contact is really great at aiding development and growth and gives comfort to your baby too. They can see and hear you which is fantastic for reassurance and comfort.
- Prams and buggies can be very heavy and bulky to carry around, with baby in a sling is so much easier to move around. Car seats can be extremely heavy too.
- When your baby is in a sling you have your hands free so much easier to manage tasks.
- Dads can enjoy being close to baby too and this really supports bonding and closeness.
- If you are breastfeeding having baby in a sling can be a much more discreet way to feed when out and about.
- Babies can feel more involved in daily life and it often gives them security of being close to you or your partner.
When you're wearing a sling or carrier, don't forget the T.I.C.K.S acronym:
- In view at all times
- Close enough to kiss
- Keep chin off the chest
- Supported back.
Local sling groups include: